So this fall I put baking an apple pie from scratch on my to do list...I just thought it was something I should be able to do and say that I've done at least once. But, after my apple butter failed (it went from a chunky watery consistency to a chunky burnt consistency) I wasn't really feeling the Little House on the Prairie vibe anymore....after all, they sell these things on grocery store shelves for a reason right?? Well today I decided that I was going to put the apple butter behind me and give the pie a go (mostly because I wanted to get some apples off my counter before they got all soft and mushy). I ended up putting 3 different recipes together because one would always call for something I didn't have or was only a single crust pie and I knew I wanted to make a double. Anyway much to my surprise it turned out great!
Baked with love by Lindsay and Beau.....ok maybe the hearts are a little corny, I wanted to get a little leaf cookie cutter for that purpose but forgot, so you work with what you have.
I had to laugh at myself while Beau and I were making the apple filling though. As I was cutting up the apples Beau kept stealing the slices and eating them. I told him to stop eating them or we wouldn't have enough to make the pie. Then I thought to myself "right...that makes perfect sense....stop eating these perfectly healthy apples so I can coat them with sugar and put them in a buttery crust. Way to go Mom" After that revelation I let him eat his fill ;)
We still had enough for the pie and when Beau FINALLY got to try a piece after supper he gave it his version of a two thumbs up! Just call me Laura!
PS...I'm laughing hysterically right now because I'm listening to Beau repeatedly say "What up Dog?" on the baby monitor beside me.
I'm planning on making my first apple pie soon too... Even borrowed a pealer/slicer thing from Kirsten! :D
ReplyDelete