Hello Monday, I don't know how you always get here so quickly but here you are again. We spent Saturday morning at Sekapp Orchard getting pumpkins and apples. We usually go to Northwoods Orchard, but they didn't have many apples this year due to frost and hail so we tried someplace new. Now the OCD in me was a little disappointed that I wouldn't be able to get the kids pictures in front of the same growth chart, BUT Sekapp's had a growth chart too and I've meditated on my "it is ok" mantra.

Anyhoo...Sekapp's actually turned out to be really great. We had to be taken by wagon out to the pick your own apples which was fun since it was more like you were secluded in your own little apple orchard. They had corn and straw mazes that were the perfect size for the kids, plenty of pumpkins and (bonus) mums!
The kids' favorite part was being able to taste test all the apple varieties straight off the trees. Luke's fav was the Honeycrisp, while the rest of us liked the very sweet Fireside.

I decided to start posting some of my pinterest trials on here. I've recently been on a muffin kick, strange for me since my muffins are usually the Betty Crocker variety. I'm never been a big bread baker either, I always get frustrated because I can't seem to get it to cook evenly. The edges always seemed overdone while the middle was mushy. Well, then one day I was talking to my incredibly ingenious sister who told me she made one of our pumpkin cake recipes in a muffin tin. (She doesn't put the frosting on so she can call them a muffin and eat them for breakfast....since one of the two main ingredients is cake mix the jury is still out on whether this counts ;) Anyway, as she was telling me about her cupcakes, er I mean "muffins" I had an aha moment and wondered why I don't turn more things into muffins. So the overripe bananas that had been patiently waiting in my freezer quickly turned into banana muffins. No burnt edges, no mushy centers (and only 20 min to bake!). Que the muffin kick, which leads us to this weekends Pinterest attempt. Beau helped me make these apple muffins. I was skeptical since there was no butter in the recipe (I'm not a big baker but isn't here usually butter included on the ingredient list?). Well I guess the amount of oil must make up for it, and even though we didn't have quite enough sugar they still turned out great! The brown sugar topping makes me feel like they are more of a dessert vs. a muffin you'd serve for breakfast (at least as a nutritious daycare meal...I have no problem scarfing them down for "breakfast"), but overall they were really quick and easy to throw together, tasted great, and I'd make them again.
And if anybody has any good bread/muffin recipes send them our way way!
The kids' favorite part was being able to taste test all the apple varieties straight off the trees. Luke's fav was the Honeycrisp, while the rest of us liked the very sweet Fireside.
![]() |
| My little perfectionist searching for the perfect apple. |
Pinterest Trial
And if anybody has any good bread/muffin recipes send them our way way!


Comments
Post a Comment