I had the day off on Friday so I could take Beau and Cora to their meet the teacher appointments. Being that we were out of our normal routine I found getting photos taken and words down was more difficult, especially since the day was full of a lot of social interaction. I found myself leaving my camera and often thinking "oh I should have gotten a picture of that!". I did my best, and I'm ok with letting the words fill in where photos may be lacking.
Friday
I finally heard and woke up to my alarm at 4:30am this morning, a change from the rest of the week.
Our morning started as it usually does, with Luke and I meeting in the kitchen. Sometimes it's after a run, but today I'm just stumbling out of bed. Him with a bowl of cereal before he leaves for work, and me pouring that first cup of coffee.
Luke leaves for work at 5:30 and my morning continues as normal with coffee, devotionals, and today, finishing up school paperwork before our appointments today.
Beau was the first one up a little before 7. He came up in his typical summer attire (comfy shorts and a t-shirt) and I had to remind him that it was picture day and he needed to change. When he came back up he talked with me about how they were having picture day before school even started!
Cora was up next, still sleepy eyed coming up the stairs. She stopped to check on what her brother was doing on the iPad.
Sylvie was the last one up this morning, and she just wanted to watch Mickey.
By 8 the kids were hungry and decided they wanted cereal for breakfast. Cora wanted to get hers herself, including the bowl on the top shelf of the cupboard.
Beau played on the iPad and the girls played on the floor with the blankets. The blanket/swimming pool game is still going strong.
The girls met me when I got out of the shower and were very helpful as I was getting ready. Cora wanted to pick out what I should wear to meet her teacher, and Sylvie was busy trying on Daddy's belts.
We finished doing the girls' hair just as Grandma arrived. We grabbed Cora's backpack loaded up with her school supplies, paper work, and what I thought was a box of Goldfish crackers for her class snack. Well it turns out that box only had a handful or two left in the bottom. I didn't want to make her feel rushed, or like we were late so I decided we could pick up a new snack afterward and bring it later in the day when I came back with Beau.
She stared nervously out the window the whole way there. I asked her if she was excited "I don't know.". I asked her if she was nervous "I don't know." I asked her if she was scared "no, I'm just normal".
When we got to school we took her picture in front of the school. As we walked in and started up the hallway to find her classroom my "not nervous" girl was more than happy to hold my hand. We were still a few minutes early when we got to her classroom and there wasn't anyone there. We unloaded some of her school supplies in the hall and found her locker. Then we saw her buddy Rory coming down the hall. His classroom was right around the corner and he was waiting to meet his teacher too. I was glad seeing Rory seemed to calm her nerves before we went in to see her teacher. She spent time talking to her teacher and unpacking her supplies while I filled out more paper work. Her teacher asked her to count as high as she could. I chuckled as she started counting and kept going and going and going, all the way until her teacher stopped her at 100.
We grabbed a quick picture with Rory on our way out, and went to the grocery store to get her snack. She picked out pretzel goldfish. Then we headed home to eat some lunch and let Cora stay with Grandma while Beau and I went to meet his teacher. Just before we were ready to leave my sister, Megan, and my nephews, Ean and Reed, arrived for the weekend. Seeing Ean open up the car door and coming running across the yard to greet me through the open kitchen window is my favorite memory of the whole day.
There were no nerves for Beau as we went to school. We met his teacher and he had to do some reading benchmark testing. His teacher told him a little bit about what to expect in his class. Beau was particularly excited about the monetary (play money) reward system, where the kids could earn money to buy prizes or privileges in the classroom. On the way home I asked him what he thought of his teacher and he said "I think I'm going to like him, he seems nice".
When we got back Beau went to play with Ean. I probably should have been cleaning up the house in preparation for our Bachelorette party guests the next day, but with 5 kids running around it seemed futile. Or at least that's what I told myself as I procrastinated by chit chatting instead. Luke got home from work early, in time to see Grandma Johnson before she left. And by left I mean saved the day by dropping us off toilet paper on her way home from the grocery store. I'm not sure, but I think toilet paper is pretty high up there on the list when you have and are expecting house guests!
After Grandma left Luke went outside to mow (something I never do). I'm sure I could if I had to, but it's one job I'm perfectly content letting him handle. I'm so lucky that he always does it and never complains....out loud at least ;)
While my hubby was out slaving away Megan and I worked on Bachelorette party favors and looked at what was coming my stitch fix box, which finally shipped. Yay!! I know the fun is supposed to be in the surprise when it arrives, but the minute I see that it's shipped I can't help but peek at the invoice to see what I'm getting. Plus the detective work of finding pictures of the items while I wait for the box to actually arrive on my doorstep is half the fun for me!
Sylvie joined us at the table for some play dough. Again, I probably should have been cleaning, but how often is it that my sister is in town?! We have to take our girl time when we can get it.
The boys and Cora spent the rest of the afternoon playing downstairs on the Wii. I try not to let it bother me that Beau is so in to games right now. It's the last week of summer and our screen time significantly drops during the school year, so I'm telling myself I can be a bit more lenient this week.
I had a homemade chicken enchilada recipe I'd been wanting to try, so I made those for supper. I anticipated having a few pint sized turned up noses, so Luke also made a not so homemade pizza.
While the enchiladas were cooking I hung up some hooks inside our entry closet door. The theory is to use them for backpacks, taming the war zone our entry often becomes once school starts. The top two bags are the backpacks Beau and Cora picked out when we were school shopping. Cora will be the first to tell you that hers lights up, and if you push the button a second time the lights flash! I know, it's hard to contain the excitement. The smaller green ones are what the daycare kids will be using for as take home bags this year.
Look at those happy faces! We served the enchiladas for the kids to try before we brought out the pizza and they were not impressed. However, after they tried it Sylvie and Cora both ended up eating all theirs, and Cora even admitted that she actually liked it. Beau wasn't a fan of the slimy sauce, but he did try enough so that he could have a piece of pizza.
Sylvie finally ate enough of her supper that she could have ice cream for dessert. She and Cora both had ice cream, the boys didn't eat their enchilada or veggies, so they went without. They didn't seem to mind and were excited to get back to playing. I wonder what would happen if they had to eat their supper to play video games.....
Sylvie and Cora took their ice cream out to the deck. They love to eat their ice cream out there, and as soon as it's scooped that's the first thing they ask. It works out great for me since it tends to be a bit messy and sticky!
We spent the rest of the night playing downstairs. Bouncing on the air mattress, video games, guitar, and a bit of climbing the doorways thrown in there while I packed up their bags. The cousins are all headed to sleep over at Grandma and Grandpa Daskam's tomorrow night, so we tried to get them to bed a little earlier than we normally would for a sleepover.
Megan, Luke, and I relaxed with a little TV while I went through pictures before going to bed. I made it to bed a little before 11 and went right to sleep knowing tomorrow would be a busy fun filled day!
Love this! I love how often you got yourself in the photo. Great job!
ReplyDelete