Skip to main content

An Update Before We Begin

I'm dusting off the blog because yesterday was day #1 of this year's Week In the Life project.  I have to admit that I have been feeling less than enthusiastic about it this year.  Life has been crazy to say the least, and it feels like it is just on the verge of slowing down (famous last words).  Lets just say a time consuming project like this is not at the top of my to do list.  BUT I've learned that there is never a perfect time for this project, and at this stage of our lives there is no "typical" week.  Each week has it's own sprinkling of crazy and weird stuff going on.  I also know how much I love the end result of the project so I'm jumping in, and going to give it my best shot.  It's my goal to update the blog each day with highlights from the day before.  I did this last year, and it made the process of putting everything together SO much easier.

But first an update on the crazy that has been our life the past few months.  When I last posted there was that nice little red SOLD sign in front of our house.  We have since moved (Easter weekend to be exact) and are feeling pretty settled.

Easter Sunday, and our 2nd morning waking up in our new home!


We're unpacked, have resumed daycare, and it's starting to feel like home (inside at least).  Outside I miss the familiar faces, and the neighborhood.  We've met a few of our new neighbors, and they are very nice (our backyard backs up to another daycare...what are the odds!).  It's just that we're the new people and that always feels a little bit like you're the object of curiosity.  I find myself constantly thinking things like "crap, did I just yell at my kids too loud", "I wonder if I'm offending anyone as they watch me tear out their old neighbor/friends landscaping", "do they care that my kids got their soccer ball stuck in their bushes, and then got another ball stuck trying to get the soccer ball unstuck?", and "really guys, do you need to scream at the top of your lungs at each other across the backyard?".  I'm sure it's just me and nobody cares, but it will just take a while to get to the same level of comfort we had with our old neighbors.

In addition to our move Luke and I recently got back from a trip to Jamaica with some friends.  In reality we had lived here for 6 days before calling in the grandparents and leaving the country for a week.  Stellar timing, I know.

Jamaica greets us with sandy beaches, blue waters and lots of SUN!


 Beau and Cora also started soccer, so in addition to dance, scouts, and Wednesday night church we've added 2 nights of soccer games and 2 separate nights of soccer practice.  Amazingly we have very few overlap conflicts, but it keeps us running every night of the week.  A fact that has made us eternally grateful for our new in town location!

That's Cora....apparently doing some high knees.

Beau receiving his wolf badge.  He had to settle for Mom since Dad was coaching Cora's soccer team.


Add in 2nd grade/parent animal reports, first communion preparation homework, first communion banner construction (don't even get me started), and actual first communion and you get a pretty good idea of what our last month has looked like.  It's safe say that I have been more stressed over my 2nd graders schedule then my own.  A stress made worse upon the realization that Beau seems to have inherited my procrastination gene and the tendency to over estimate what one can accomplish in a specified period of time.

My handsome boy and..........the banner.
Making the most of the opportunity and capturing us all dressed up.


Adjustments and busyness aside we're so glad we made the decision to move, and love our new home.  I love having a list of projects and thinking about ways to update it and make it our own.  I'm working on having patience, and acknowledging that it is a process that will evolve as time and money allows.  Thank God for Luke who is constantly telling me I need to prioritize and giving me a reality check when I show him my Saturday list that reads:  till and plant garden, get plants and decorate front porch, purchase and plant apple tree, paint Cora's room, hang Sylvie's curtains, take down living room curatins.  And when I look up and say "what else?" he will sigh and gently tell me that might be too much to accomplish in a day, or suggest that I should prioritize.  To which I respond by digging in my heels, crossing my arms and insisting that it most certainly CAN all be done, or pouting.  I do a lot of that too ;).

In summary it doesn't appear that we are in danger of being bored any time soon.  Which is great, because I am NOT a fan of boredom.  A busy life is a blessed life!  Stay tuned for Week in the Life updates :).

Comments

  1. Um, that second to last paragraph is me, all day long. And Luke is Page. :) I'm actually have a check-myself moment now, ha! Perhaps I need to be a tad less obsessed with my little "list notebook" i'm constantly updating for the coming week with projects and to-dos. For what it's worth, your list sounded completely sane. ;) Congrats on the move!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So glad I'm not the only one!! I think of it as being prepared....I'd hate to have extra time and not know what to do with myself! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Around here.....

Here's just a little snapshot of what life looks like right now. Around here we're starting to get into the basketball season.  Both Beau and Cora are participating in traveling basketball through SYBA.  The crazy weekends of tournaments haven't started yet, but they're both having practice regularly.  Luke will be the assistant coach to Cora's team this year.  Sylvie will get to play too, but her season won't start until January and is one game on Saturday mornings in town. Around here are three kids are going to religion class on Wednesday nights, I'm teaching Cora's 3rd grade class.  Between that and basketball practice it's rare to have a weeknight where we are all home. Around here we're getting excited for the holidays!  I'm starting in on some shopping, planning and thinking about getting the house decorated.  The kids are getting Christmas lists made, and my desk is full of December Daily prep work.  Around here I...

WITL Day 5 - Friday

Friday began, as predicted, with a steady soaking rain and I was glad I switched my run to yesterday.  At 5am Georgia decided I've hit the snooze button enough, puts her paws up on the bed and licks my hands until I get up.  She didn't get the same glad feeling about not getting to head out on a run, and lay pouting by the front door. I fill her food bowl while the coffee brews, and she decides that if we can't run she'll ask to be repeatedly let in and out instead.  The result was lots of muddy paw drying. Around 6 Luke leaves for work and Georgia settles down.  The house is finally quiet and still and I'm thankful for the few minutes of peace. It's daycare appreciation day, and this year I am showered with gifts from my families.  It definitely adds a boost to the otherwise dreary and slow start to the day.  As the kids are packing their bags for school I find that some homework has been neglected throughout the week.  I'm ...

Not The Only One

Another Halloween has come and gone.  This year we had a dinosaur, vampire, and Snow White (returning for the second year in a row).   Holidays like this are always such a stark reminder of just how not babies my babies are.  Once again I just wasn't in the Halloween spirit this year.  We didn't even go to a pumpkin patch or apple orchard.  The few free hours we had were cold and rainy and the kids weren't in to it.  I definitely wasn't into it. This year, as if I needed more of a reminder of how fast my kids' childhood is slipping away, the social media trend seemed to be "Halloween from years gone by".  Everyone, at least in my "friend" feed was posting year to year Halloween pictures of their kids.   As I was busy liking and loving everyone's past Halloweens I came across a post that stopped me in my tracks.  In her post she stated that she felt like the Scrooge of Halloween and that what was once fun now felt like ...