Friday was a "blah" day. It rained, there were clouds, kids were tired and cranky, I just couldn't seem to get any motivation to get up and move. Looking back at the photos actually gave me an "ugh...oh yeah" reaction.
I started the day with a couple snoozes before heading out for a run.
Back by 5:30, so Luke can head to work. Chug down a glass of nuun while the coffee brews and get ready for some morning quiet time.
6:00am - I head upstairs to shower and can hear the kids up and milling about already. By the time I'm out of the shower all three kids are dressed and ready waiting for me in my room. None of them were clamoring at the door to get in before the shower was off though, so I consider it a win. This morning Beau and Cora were particularly proud of the fact that Cora's hair had already been done by Beau.
Start a load of laundry and it's downstairs to unlock the door and get breakfast started.
Cora has been using her extra time in the morning to do art in the temporary daycare preschool room. I love that she's using her time creatively, but I don't love all the paper fitzens scissors, crayons, pencils, markers and other various art materials that are left ALL over when the daycare kids begin to arrive. It's not so much about the mess but more about the fact that I find myself saying "where did you get those scissors?!" and "why do you have paper in your mouth!?" I have learned to make sure the gate is closed until I've had a chance to survey the area. We are working on making sure the mess gets cleaned up BEFORE you leave, but it's a work in progress.
7:45am - bags packed, ready to go. 8 year old boys much prefer shorts and long socks to the dreaded jeans, and as every mother knows once those shorts come out there's no turning back.
We noticed some pretty pink blooms on the bushes out front before the rain started. We have no idea what is planted around our house, so we're having fun seeing what appears as things start to bloom.
It's a rainy day with lots of toy battles and blood curdling screams. By 10:30 I give in and turn on an episode of Sophia the First while I prepare an early lunch.
The kids are down for nap by 12:30 today, and all are asleep almost immediately (a rare occurrence!). I putter nap time away looking for and trying to decide upon a front door color. That makes me realize I need to pick a shutter color too, so I start digging through those samples. That makes me realize that we are going to need new planters for the front porch, so I start a web and pinterest search for those. Except Pinterest keeps bringing up kitchen pins and that makes me remember that I want to find some ideas on how to brighten up our kitchen WITHOUT painting the cabinets white. Maybe replace some cabinet doors with glass? But then I realize that the interior shelves are white and that looks weird. White shelves take me back to the planters when I start to wonder if maybe white is the way to go. Yes, I definitely need white planters. But....I can't find any I like so I head back over to Sherwin Williams and continue on with their color visualizer picking out front door and shutter colors. Do you see how my mind works. It really is like a real life version of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie all. the. time.
I finally think I've decided on the perfect shade of turquoise for the front door. I'm committed. And then I think....but Christmas! Picturing a green holiday wreath hanging on a turquoise door was just not doing it for me, and I was never really able to jump on the red and turquoise bandwagon when it comes to Christmas decorating. Although I love the colors I'm more of a traditional/nostalgic girl when it comes to the holidays. SO, back to pinterest on a search for Christmas porches. I was desperately trying to salvage the idea of a turquoise front door, but anyone who knows me, knows that if it throws off Christmas it's a deal breaker. I found that most of the Christmasy front doors I was drawn to were dark brown. I loved the cozy look and feel of the brown with the greenery and Christmas lights, but for the rest of the year....meh. After much thought I came up with the PERFECT solution. I was so excited I immediately text Luke and told him the turquoise front door dilemma. First of all, do you see what a great guy I have. He actually took time out of his day to read and respond like this was an actual crisis needing immediate attention in MAY. After hearing the problem he calmly responded with "we are not having 2 front doors". HOW DID HE KNOW?! Of course that was my solution. We have our normal turquoise door and then when the Christmas season rolls around you take it off its hinges and replace it with the dark brown door and call it a Christmas decoration. Seems brilliant to me.
Selfies are guaranteed when my camera is out and sitting around. The kids are home around 3 after a soggy walk home in the rain.
Luke gets to take Beau to a cold, wet, and windy soccer practice. The girls hang out in the playroom.
Wine. Wine will help me choose a front door color. In the end I chose a turquoise with more of a greenish tint. A pinterest search revealed a front porch decked out for Christmas featuring a front door in the color. She also had the same same area rug as I have in my entry in one of the pictures so I took that as a sign and called it good.
Home. Jammies. Relaxing before heading off to bed.
Comments
Post a Comment