My baby turned 5 last week. 5 as in starts Kindergarten in the fall. Yeah, that kind of 5. This has been one of those milestones that has just hit me hard. With the other two it didn't really hit me until they actually started school (because, ya know, it's still 7 months away) but with Sylvie the day she turned 5 I feel like everything inside me turned upside down and has been flip flopping around ever since.
She on the other hand could not wait to turn 5. She started counting down to her birthday before Christmas. The night before she was SO excited because it was her "birthday eve". She was jumping around on the beds and even celebrated by having Cora "sleep over" in her room. I can't believe how much she has grown and changed in the past year. She has blossomed from being clingy, timid, and full of tears into this brave, silly, confident little girl. She's still my little worrier though. She notices every little detail, thinks, wonders, and yes, worries about everything. If she speaks you can be assured that she has already contemplated and thoroughly mulled over whatever it is she's now ready to discuss. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes with that girl. This is such a stark contrast to her sister who can daydream and imagine all day long, but will say whatever pops into her head and jump in to new things without a second thought. I'm hoping they balance each other out through the years! It's this stark contrast that makes me realize just how brave Sylvie is though. Trying new things and taking on unfamiliar situations isn't easy for her, but she does it. She's learning to push past her fears and worries (most of the time) and has grown from needing Mom's hand every step of the way, to stepping into the unknown all on her own. And the confidence this girl has! She may be slow to start, but once she's figured something out, or is ready to try, she's ready. She doesn't second guess herself or say I think so. She's sure. I love that about her. That means good luck trying to convince her to do something before she's ready, or not do something she's set her mind to! As frustrating it can be for me now it's a quality I hope she can always tap into.
Here's a little about Sylvie right now in her own words:
For her birthday this year she wanted to eat at Pizza Ranch, with blueberry cactus bread for dessert. Afterward we came home to open presents. The highlights were some camping accessories to go with her Our Generation doll (Target's much cheaper version of American Girl). She loved them and is perfectly content to sit and play with all the tiny little pieces. Pieces that no doubt will drive me to my breaking point over the next few months.
She also got her very own bat for t-ball this summer! She is SO excited that it's finally her turn to play ball. Ever since I told her she would be able to play she's been asking how much longer. She punctuates every conversation involving the passage of time with "and then I'll play t-ball". Last summer, you might remember, ALL she wanted to do was hit the ball and play catch. She would play with whomever would take the time, begging me, Luke, Cora, Beau, and our two older daycare boys, Colton and Rory, all day long. She has even gotten our neighbor girl to pitch her a few balls. When one person would get tired of it she'd just move on and ask the next person. She's a little worried right now because we haven't located her glove yet, but I've assured her that it's here somewhere. Yesterday I had a day off and was home with just me and the kids. She wanted to try out that bat in the worst way. So, we headed out into the snowstorm to hit a few balls. She could not have been happier.
Her birthday ended with her jumping up and down, running around her bed telling us how much she loved everything. She finally crawled into bed with her doll, who was wearing matching jammies (jammies with buttons on the front....another gift she quite specifically asked for).
Sylvie, you are one of the sweetest, strongest, bravest, most compassionate, sensitive, and confident kids I know and I can't wait to see what 5 brings for you!
She on the other hand could not wait to turn 5. She started counting down to her birthday before Christmas. The night before she was SO excited because it was her "birthday eve". She was jumping around on the beds and even celebrated by having Cora "sleep over" in her room. I can't believe how much she has grown and changed in the past year. She has blossomed from being clingy, timid, and full of tears into this brave, silly, confident little girl. She's still my little worrier though. She notices every little detail, thinks, wonders, and yes, worries about everything. If she speaks you can be assured that she has already contemplated and thoroughly mulled over whatever it is she's now ready to discuss. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes with that girl. This is such a stark contrast to her sister who can daydream and imagine all day long, but will say whatever pops into her head and jump in to new things without a second thought. I'm hoping they balance each other out through the years! It's this stark contrast that makes me realize just how brave Sylvie is though. Trying new things and taking on unfamiliar situations isn't easy for her, but she does it. She's learning to push past her fears and worries (most of the time) and has grown from needing Mom's hand every step of the way, to stepping into the unknown all on her own. And the confidence this girl has! She may be slow to start, but once she's figured something out, or is ready to try, she's ready. She doesn't second guess herself or say I think so. She's sure. I love that about her. That means good luck trying to convince her to do something before she's ready, or not do something she's set her mind to! As frustrating it can be for me now it's a quality I hope she can always tap into.
Here's a little about Sylvie right now in her own words:
For her birthday this year she wanted to eat at Pizza Ranch, with blueberry cactus bread for dessert. Afterward we came home to open presents. The highlights were some camping accessories to go with her Our Generation doll (Target's much cheaper version of American Girl). She loved them and is perfectly content to sit and play with all the tiny little pieces. Pieces that no doubt will drive me to my breaking point over the next few months.
She also got her very own bat for t-ball this summer! She is SO excited that it's finally her turn to play ball. Ever since I told her she would be able to play she's been asking how much longer. She punctuates every conversation involving the passage of time with "and then I'll play t-ball". Last summer, you might remember, ALL she wanted to do was hit the ball and play catch. She would play with whomever would take the time, begging me, Luke, Cora, Beau, and our two older daycare boys, Colton and Rory, all day long. She has even gotten our neighbor girl to pitch her a few balls. When one person would get tired of it she'd just move on and ask the next person. She's a little worried right now because we haven't located her glove yet, but I've assured her that it's here somewhere. Yesterday I had a day off and was home with just me and the kids. She wanted to try out that bat in the worst way. So, we headed out into the snowstorm to hit a few balls. She could not have been happier.
Sylvie, you are one of the sweetest, strongest, bravest, most compassionate, sensitive, and confident kids I know and I can't wait to see what 5 brings for you!




Comments
Post a Comment