Skip to main content

WITL Day 2 - Tuesday


Tuesday starts out with the snooze button again.  Only 30 minutes today though, so I'm making progress.  Luke is working from home this morning so he can take Cora to an orthodontist appointment.  Which means even though I didn't get out of bed until 5am I can still sneak in a run.  I take Georgia with me today.  I just recently started running with her.  I've been using a hands free leash that goes around my waist.  It works well, but right now she's more resistance training than running partner.  I do notice that our time is a little faster today, so hopefully that means she's getting the hang of it.  She did the typical poop a mile in, which means I'm left finishing my run with a swinging bag of dog poop.  I find myself wishing there were more garbage cans placed around town.  


My ankle is still a little sore and I know if we run back toward home I'll be tempted to turn right instead of left, ending the run early.  So, we opt to try a new route.  Georgia approved.  We're home by 5:50 for coffee and some quiet time on the porch.


At 6:25 I head upstairs to wake the kids.  Beau and Sylvie are both sleeping on top of their made beds with a blanket over the top of them.  Something they did at some point after I tucked them in because I made them both get IN to bed the night before.  I jump in the shower at 6:45, and we're downstairs for daycare arrivals and starting breakfast at 7.

Today Luke joins us downstairs for breakfast.  He tells Beau to stop watching baseball highlights on his iPad and Cora is contemplating her rubber band color choices for today's orthodontist appointment.  We're out of children's ibuprofen so Luke says he and Cora will stop and grab some.  I try to think on the fly of as many other things we need so I can add them to his list.


Daycare appreciation day is this Friday, and I got the cutest gift from one of my families today!  I have always been really lucky to have some great families as clients!


By 8:30 my kids are gone and I run upstairs, pour the last cup of coffee, do a quick counter clean up, and start a load of laundry. 


I refill my water on my way back down.  I'm really trying to get better at drinking more water during the day.  Then it's back downstairs to do the dishes and get started on preschool activities (sprouts and stems today).


I may not be great at water but I'm really awesome at grabbing handfuls of whatever is in the chicken every time I come upstairs.  Today it's brightside Skittles.


At 9:45 we begin the process of getting ready to go outside.  Sylvie is a huge help when it comes to getting the kids ready.  It was super helpful this winter when we were doing snow pants, boots, and gloves, but even now it goes so much faster having her help with shoes and getting coats zipped.  Sometimes I forget she's only 5.  That's one thing I've noticed about being a daycare mom, my own kids become very independent at an early age.  Probably, in part, to me being so divided and less available to help them, and also because once they learn a skill there are so many other kids who are needing help they get lots of practice at mastering it.  Plus my kids are just generally really impatient, there's no way they are going to wait for me to zip 11 coats before I get to them, so they figure out how to do it themselves so they can get outside!


Once we're outside I get the picnic table set up on the deck with Mother's Day project supplies, and have the kids come up a couple at a time to work on them. 


Sylvie has school today, but I really want to get the painting part of this project done so it can have time to dry.  It was already 11:00 so I told her to run inside and make herself a PBJ, like I said, I forget she's 5.  She did and let me know that she was going to have a yogurt with it. 


By 11:30 we are finishing up painting and Sylvie is ready for the bus.  I bring the rest of the kids inside so we can get started on lunch.  I eat the last piece of cake from Cora's first Communion.


By noon the kids are starting to finish up eating and I have a MAJOR sugar crash going on.  Trying to find the energy to get lunch cleaned up is tough.  I do manage to get the dishes done, stories read, and the kids down by 12:30.  A quiet house is a great incentive to get moving.


I spend nap time uploading photos and blogging week in the life.  Although I'm obviously not always doing week in the life, catching up on photos and doing some sort of memory keeping is pretty typical of my nap times.  Generally I'm in the office most of the time working on daycare paperwork, family finances, and various projects (generally Project Life or One Little Word).  As I'm working the UPS truck stops, which means Georgia is barking and putting on her best vicious dog show.  Her wiggling butt and wagging tail tend to give her away.  As I'm looking out the window I notice that more tulips have bloomed, which makes me happy.


Sylvie gets home from preschool earlier than usual (right at 2:30).  I print out the daycare kids daily sheets and we head downstairs.  Cora and Rory get home shortly after, and I get a chance to see her new braces for the first time.  She went with her plan of 2 shades of turquoise and 2 shades of purple.


It's dreary outside, and there's rain moving in, but I decide to chance it and get the kids outside for as long as we can.  At 4pm we find out that baseball is cancelled due to the rain on the way, I immediately start re-thinking supper.  We luck out until about 4:30, when it starts pouring.  I take the 3 kids that are left in to the screened in porch.  We hang out there until their parents get here, and I prep chicken for the grill.  As soon as we're inside, Cora comes in crying.  She got hit in the face with a basketball and her top lip is now attached to her braces.  Seriously...day one with braces, why wasn't that in the welcome video?!  Beau reads to the daycare kids on the porch while I take Cora into the bathroom and try to detach her lip.  It becomes evident that gentle prodding and pulling is not working, so we go with the quick yank method....that worked, with minimal bleeding.  


Once that was taken care of the big kids spent their remaining time crowded around the computer playing a trivia game about different super hero logos.


Tonight all the kids are gone by 5:15, and we are able to have an unexpected family supper at the table.  Those are becoming few and far between this spring.  Sylvie is the last one at the table, as usual.  Generally you think of kids not wanting to eat their veggies, but for her it's meat.  All meat.  She spends the whole meal dreading eating it, and when she finally takes the required bite or two she chews and chews and chews.  She will eat it all if she wants dessert bad enough, but we started having to cut off supper time or she'd sit there all half the night and then want dessert.  Most of the time she decides dessert isn't worth it and asks "can I be done" after a few bites.


After supper I run to town to get the remaining supplies we need for our Mother's Day project at Michael's.  When I get home the kids are watching Forged in Fire, a series on the History channel they've recently become interested in.  Beau has been stopping on the History channel a lot lately.


The kids head upstairs at 8 to get their jammies on and brush teeth.  I get a text from a friend wanting to run in the morning, which I'm grateful for.  By Wednesday it can get hard to keep the momentum going to get up and run.  When I get upstairs Sylvie has her story picked.  She wants to read her new book, The Dot, and when Cora hears that's what we're reading she runs in saying "oh, I love that book" and joins us.  Cora loves all things art, she wants to be an artist.  The Dot is about creating art.  I can't even tell you how many times I've pointed that book out in book orders and every time she was like nah, no, I don't want that one.  Well apparently they read it in art class and she loves it and reads it all the time at school.  I resist the urge to roll my eyes and say I told you so.  Ok maybe I did say I told you so.


I tuck Beau in at 8:30 and ask him how his new book is.  He's generally a fan book series.  He just finished The Last 13 series through Usborne books and asked me to pick him up some new books last time we were at the library.  I brought him a few choices.  Of the ones I picked up he chose Code Talkers, a book about World War II.  It's rare for him to want to read a book outside of a series, but he's been showing a lot of interest in World War II.  He took that one to school and is reading it there.  Here at home he has been reading Tunnels which is the first book in its series.


I get ready for bed as soon as I tuck him in and read until 9:30.  Then it's lights out, but not for the night.  It starts storming outside and Sylvie is up, scared at 10:30.  I get her back to bed, but wake up to her tapping me again at 12:10.  It's still storming, and she's still scared (but only half awake).  I put her back to bed again, and thankfully am able to fall back to sleep shortly after.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around here.....

Here's just a little snapshot of what life looks like right now. Around here we're starting to get into the basketball season.  Both Beau and Cora are participating in traveling basketball through SYBA.  The crazy weekends of tournaments haven't started yet, but they're both having practice regularly.  Luke will be the assistant coach to Cora's team this year.  Sylvie will get to play too, but her season won't start until January and is one game on Saturday mornings in town. Around here are three kids are going to religion class on Wednesday nights, I'm teaching Cora's 3rd grade class.  Between that and basketball practice it's rare to have a weeknight where we are all home. Around here we're getting excited for the holidays!  I'm starting in on some shopping, planning and thinking about getting the house decorated.  The kids are getting Christmas lists made, and my desk is full of December Daily prep work.  Around here I...

WITL Day 5 - Friday

Friday began, as predicted, with a steady soaking rain and I was glad I switched my run to yesterday.  At 5am Georgia decided I've hit the snooze button enough, puts her paws up on the bed and licks my hands until I get up.  She didn't get the same glad feeling about not getting to head out on a run, and lay pouting by the front door. I fill her food bowl while the coffee brews, and she decides that if we can't run she'll ask to be repeatedly let in and out instead.  The result was lots of muddy paw drying. Around 6 Luke leaves for work and Georgia settles down.  The house is finally quiet and still and I'm thankful for the few minutes of peace. It's daycare appreciation day, and this year I am showered with gifts from my families.  It definitely adds a boost to the otherwise dreary and slow start to the day.  As the kids are packing their bags for school I find that some homework has been neglected throughout the week.  I'm ...

Not The Only One

Another Halloween has come and gone.  This year we had a dinosaur, vampire, and Snow White (returning for the second year in a row).   Holidays like this are always such a stark reminder of just how not babies my babies are.  Once again I just wasn't in the Halloween spirit this year.  We didn't even go to a pumpkin patch or apple orchard.  The few free hours we had were cold and rainy and the kids weren't in to it.  I definitely wasn't into it. This year, as if I needed more of a reminder of how fast my kids' childhood is slipping away, the social media trend seemed to be "Halloween from years gone by".  Everyone, at least in my "friend" feed was posting year to year Halloween pictures of their kids.   As I was busy liking and loving everyone's past Halloweens I came across a post that stopped me in my tracks.  In her post she stated that she felt like the Scrooge of Halloween and that what was once fun now felt like ...